25 Oct Autumn Chickpea Soup
This Autumn Chickpea Stew is packed with protein and fiber from the chickpeas and lentils, while the variety of vegetables and aromatic spices provide a comforting and satisfying meal that can help combat autumn fatigue.
What you need:
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil or cooking oil of choice
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 zucchini, diced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 cup dried red lentils
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 can (15 oz) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (14 oz) diced tomatoes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh parsley or cilantro for garnish
What you do:
- Sauté Aromatics: In a large pot, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the diced onion and sauté until translucent. Stir in the minced garlic, ground cumin, ground cinnamon, and ground turmeric. Cook for another minute until fragrant.
- Add Vegetables: Add the diced carrot, sweet potato, red bell pepper, and zucchini to the pot. Sauté for about 5 minutes until the vegetables begin to soften.
- Simmer with Lentils: Add the dried red lentils and stir to combine with the vegetables. Pour in the vegetable broth and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Cook and Season: Reduce the heat to low, cover the pot, and simmer for about 20-25 minutes, or until the lentils and vegetables are tender. Stir in the drained chickpeas and diced tomatoes. Continue to simmer for an additional 10 minutes.Season the stew with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve: Ladle the warm Autumn Chickpea Stew into bowls. Garnish with fresh parsley or cilantro for added freshness.
Feel free to adjust the seasonings to your taste or add more vegetables if desired. Enjoy the flavors of the season while nourishing your body!