23 Mar Health Jacked Cracker Jacks
This little gem of a recipe was born one night when I popped way too much popcorn to eat in one Netflix sitting. I was inspired to do something with my left over popcorn, then I remembered a recipe I’d seen many moons ago… Snapper Dacks Rice Cake Snaps recipe.
I scoured my pantry and made a version of that recipe using popcorn instead of rice cakes. I loved it so much that I did it again and again. And I’ll keep on doing it with whatever ingredients I find in my pantry.
You can use any nut and seed combo that you like, but here’s one that I know works and nicely resembles a fond memory of the good ol’ Cracker Jack box of snacks that I loved so much in my childhood. This recipe just suits me much better today because it’s healthy! Yet still crunchy and sweet. Then there’s the new element of chocolate. Oh my!
What you need:
6 c popped popcorn (I do mine the traditional stovetop method with a little coconut oil and some skillful shaking… hips included)
1/3 c cashews
1/3 c pecans
1/3 c pumpkin seeds
1/3 c coconut flakes
1/4 c cacao nibs
1/4 c coconut oil
1/4 c maple syrup
himalayan salt to taste
What you do:
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees while you’re popping the popcorn
- Combine the popped popcorn, nuts, seeds, coconut flakes and salt in a large mixing bowl and mix well
- Melt coconut oil in saucepan on stovetop or warmed oven
- Drizzle melted coconut oil and maple syrup on the other ingredients, mix well to combine & distribute evenly
- Spread the mixture on a parchment paper lined baking sheet and bake for about 30 minutes. Stir the mixture a few times during the baking period to avoid burning or browning
- Allow to cool, grab your remote control and enjoy!