14 Dec Simple Tips and Natural Remedies for Travel
If you find yourself travelling this holiday season, you can keep yourself and your family healthy with a few simple tips and a little bit of pre-planning. When travelling we tend veer from our normal routines. As our usual eating patterns, food choices and sleeping patterns change we can become susceptible to all kinds of travel related issues like diarrhea, nausea, insomnia and indigestion.
Here are some natural ways to help make your next travel expedition healthy & happy:
THE TRAVELLING MEDICINE CABINET
- Digestive Enzymes: Will help aid in digestion, assimilation & elimination of food, especially when consuming new & different foods.
- Probiotics: Shelf stable probiotics like Lactobacillus sporogenes are a great choice for travelling to ensure the good gut flora (bacteria) stay healthy, strong and balanced to avoid Traveller’s Diarrhea.
- Lavender Oil: Can be used topically, undiluted on the skin for insect bites, burns, cuts or on pillow cases & towels as an antibacterial. Also good for insomnia, irritability & headaches by adding 5-6 drops in 4 tsp of oil base and applying to skin.
- Grapefruit Seed Extract: A great antimicrobial to use as a first aid treatment for mild skin irritations or internally for bacterial, viral, and fungal infections.
- Tea Tree Oil: An effective antibacterial, anti-fungal & antiviral that can be used by placing a couple of drops on a tissue and inhaling it periodically on the plane to ward off any bacteria or airborne viruses.
- Peppermint Oil: One drop directly on the tongue can help with nausea, upset stomach, motion sickness & jet lag.
- Arnica: Homeopathic pellets for general aches & pains or emotional shock. Cream for aches, sprains & bruises.
- Rescue Remedy: Take a 4 -5 drops of this natural and effective stress and anxiety reliever an hour before flying or when nervousness is apparent. It helps with emotional stress and is a great remedy for the nervous traveller.
- Ground yourself upon arrival: Spending so much time in the air flying and being unconnected to the solid foundation of the Earth can really put some people off kilter. If at all possible settle in to your temporary quarters by making the space yours, unpacking your belongings and establishing a base for yourself. A simple, effective grounding technique is a mindful meditation focusing on your breath first, then taking your attention down to your feet and imagining roots growing from the soles of your feet down deep into the core of the Earth. Feeling the strength, stability and firm foundation of Earth beneath you.
- Melatonin: Take 3 – 5 mg of melatonin at night to help with jet lag and to reset the body’s biological clock and Circadian rhythm, especially if crossing time zones.
GENERAL TRAVEL TIPS
- A week before travelling, boost your immune system with nutrient dense foods, juices and super foods. Drink lots of vegetable juice or supplement with an immune formula that includes Vitamin C.
- If you know you’ll be indulging while travelling, bring some chlorella capsules with you and take them while away to help you detoxify and nourish your cells.
- Apply castor oil packs to the the abdomen 2 times per week prior to travelling to prime bacteria fighting white blood cells.
- Avoid drinking tap water, raw salads or fruits and vegetables washed in tap water (or add 2 drops citricidal to water).
- Bring healthy portable foods with you, like organic food bars, nuts, seeds and granola.
- Increase cooked foods like rice & oat bran while abroad.
- Wash your hands regularly, always.
Wishing you a happy, healthy holiday season where ever you are!